Inspired by a recent article written by Apartment Therapy, I decided to write this blog for all of you college folks heading back to school soon. So here are 5 tips on how to create “cozy” on campus for your dorm or apartment:
- Use colorful bedding & make your bed the centerpiece of the room. Target has lots of great finds for under $100.
(This bedding has a cheerful and serene vibe that will make you happy to come home & relax)(I love the Bohemian look of this happy bedding. You could use green or yellow or blue sheets, too. I think yellow would be a nice surprise under the comforter). (This bedding choice is classic and modern all at the same time. I love it!) (Another one for the guys, although depending on how you accessorize/sheet colors it could be used in a girl’s dorm room as well. This is just a fun modern take on “plaid”).
- Use lots of throw pillows. This will add more pops of color to the blah colors of the dorm/apartment. Plus, it’ll give comfy places for your friends to sit or lean on. Get different colors to add variety but that will still coordinate with each other.
- Add a fun rug to the floor.
(I love the versatility of this rug…It’s from Anthropolgie, so it may be out of the budget, but you can look for something that has similar lines and or/colors)
(Ikea has a lot of affordable rugs like this one pictured above. I love the fun swirls on this rug, which would look great in a guy or girl’s dorm).(Ikea is great for hanging lamps like this).
- Of course adding artwork always warms things up a bit. Check campus guidelines as to what is acceptable. Below are some options for inexpensive art:
- Use a simple corkboard & cover it with fabric that coordinates with your bedding. Check out what blogger Laura did with some simple frames.
- Use ribbon & cliprings to hang up fave photos or small works or art or memorablia. Here’s an example from my son’s bedroom.
(Of course yours will look a lot more grown-up & you can make the ribbon art collage as long as you want to make it…lots of options here).
3. Buy an inexpensive frame (without the glass) and display a favorite object in the center of it (like jewelry, a card, any momento that speaks to your heart/style). Here’s an example from my master bedroom. I took 25 cent frames I found at Goodwill, spray painted them & taped mattes in the center, then put one nail in the wall & hung a vintage crystal on it.
Thanks for reading my simple solutions to creating “cozy” on campus. Let me know your tips & suggestions for college students, too.